Sunday, May 5, 2013

Time out

Sunday a day for rest and relaxation, no emails, no phone messages of "I got a problem, can you help me", or "I don't like what happened."  How do you spend you day away from your ordinary activities. 

At Church last night we were part of a the baptism of two young siblings, very young people maybe a 3 yr boy and  maybe a 5 yr old girl. I am only guessing ages. Parents, god parents and grandparents were asked will you teach them the way to live this life of christian which you have asked they become baptized as Christ bearers? I say we were a part of this as well as our participation and chapping we welcomed them into the Christian community.

Do you do some spiritual reading and reflection on a day like to day. Sabbath day! I am currently reading several books. One is like a hammer shattering rock by Megan Mc Kenna.  Today she posed the question. Do I read scripture for the ability to use the Bible to promote my beliefs, my positions or do I read and reflect on the Bible reading for my conversion? She recited situations in which we as believers have persecuted, killed, condemned those who don't believe as we do.  I have heard other say oh she/he is a really holy spiritual person. Who but God can determine the inner workings of another?

This months issue of SATURDAY EVENING POST has a article on "the New Urban Hermit". It talks about stories of people who while living in their ordinary neighborhoods are living the live of hermits, involved in complete silence prayer for the world, practices of prayer that are helpful to them. One states "few realize that this is a vital and richly human way of living--one that's personally fulfilling, yet also quite rare." Article further states attraction to hermit life always flares up when the world is in turmoil. Hermits are the hub of the whirling wheel, and they help to hold civilization together." I don't feel called to this life style at least not as of today but I am called to listen to God within.

As you read these wandering of my mind what is it that you are being called to this week to carry out your purpose in life?


No comments:

Post a Comment