Saturday, August 25, 2012

GOD CAN WRITE STRAIGHT WITH CROOKED LINES

Today we remember the philosopher and mystic Simone Weil.

I have always admired her and her solidarity with all those who are outside of the organized religion. It is said she could not bear to separate herself from " the immense and unfortunate multitude of unbelievers"

Simone was born in France of a nonreligious Jewish family. She had an esteemed teaching career but would take a leave from teaching to work in the factories with the working class. 

Her life was a search for her own religious truth. She became more and more Christ centered but felt she should be in solidarity with those who did not receive the gift of faith. She felt this was her vocation.

I find  myself pondering do I take my faith for granted? Who am I willing to stand with who society has marginalized?

 Simone was identified with the struggles of her time and the effect on the human condition. Am I even aware of the struggles of the poor, the working class, or am I in denial there is a class system in my country? For me seeing is a call to action knowing there is always a reaction to what we do to help those in need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment