Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Helping those who are in need

Today I had a chance to go to a fundraiser for Catholic charities where the money raised is going toward the new warming shelter for people who have no place to sleep at night except on the street. It was nice to see all the support there.

I did feel a bit sad when I heard a speaker talk about how happy there were to help those people. I guess I am more sensitive to this since I lived 10 years among and with my fellow Sisters and employees in a so called 3rd world country where everyone cared about the other and no one let anyone be hungry. Amazing wasn't it. I came back to the US and saw people in the city looking for food in garbage behind McDonald's.
I guess it is all about ones world view. I never considered myself different than the Sisters I lived with, or the employees who I worked with to serve those in need of health care.

Perhaps lent is a time when we can do some reflection on our personal world view and who do we consider those people or are we all one Father as you and I are one?

No comments:

Post a Comment