Saturday, October 15, 2011

Reflections on past week

As I said last refection I felt the past week went by with a host of emotions, feelings and what did really happen. I did take a nap today, wonderful practice for healing and now I feel I can share some things with you.

Monday 10 was the remembrance of Mollie Rogers. She was know as Sister Mary Joseph. She is the foundress of the Maryknoll Sisters. Now why is that of any significance? As a teen my mother attended Mother of Perpetual help devotions every Tues night and dragged, I mean took me along. The only think I liked about this weekly church happening, was to be able to pick up the Maryknoll magazine in the back of church and see all the exciting things the Sisters were doing with poor people.
Later when in Nursing school ,at age of 19 taught by the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother,  I experienced God calling me to become a bearer of good news as a religious woman. I wanted to be a Maryknoll and did apply but they said wait until you finished Nursing School. Back then wait was a unfamiliar word to me. For those who know me see how I have grown.(smile) I responded by praying the stations of the Sorrowful Mother to become a Maryknoll.
While working in Maternity department nursery there was a statue of baby Jesus with inscription Come follow me. Every time I worked I turned it around so I could see it.

Do you believe God sends signs? Well let me tell you of a powerful one. As student nurses we were required to make a annual retreat. Catholic, protestant it didn't matter you were there. The priest my freshman year was a Passionist religious order priest. They wore a symbol on their clothing which looked like a police badge to me at that time. I said to God if  you want me to be a Sister he will come down from the table where he was sitting and tap me on the shoulder and ask me to come and talk to him. At the end of the conference before we all left church behold he came down tapped me on the shoulder and said I need to speak with you. Now it was about something the head of the school thought I knew something about, like where had one of our classmates disappeared to. However a sign is a sign no matter how it comes about.
the rest of that story later. I entered the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother a year later.

Have you asked God for any signs for discernment for yourself? If not try it and be surprised.
Also you never know what effect parents have on their children by the things they involve them in. Think about it

No comments:

Post a Comment