Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Do what I say not what I do

The leaders the Pharisees were taken to task by Jesus in today's reading because they preached the law of Moses but did not follow it and yet wanted others to give them respect, acknowledgement and first place.

I wonder have you ever said "do what I say not what I do" We hear a child say a bad word and get upset with the child but where did they learn it. Is washing out the mouth with soap no longer done as it was in my day? I don't think I ever heard of an adult getting their mouth washed with soap, or their favorite cell taken away or to sit in the corner until you figure out what you did wrong and apologize. 

The pharisees oppressed the women and did not provide for the orphan children. That is not what the law was at that time, that is why Jesus gave the example he did. Care for widows, respect and care for children for such is the kingdom of heaven. Are you aware of the homeless children in your area? I served a meal at the Salvation Army and was surprised at the number of children and babies that were also there.

Recently a firefighter died the area. He left his wife with 3 small children. A year from now will there still be people reaching out to her and her children? Isn't that what lent is about, helping us relook at how we live the 2 commandments of Love God and love neighbor.

It is not too late to send a cheque to the mother to help with raising her children, to give food to the food pantry in your area to help those many who have no food no job. We can volunteer some of our time to help others, now that would be alms giving. I know for me my time is more precious than a few dollars.

What do you need to change about your example to others not to do what you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment