Friday, January 27, 2012

Committed to serve

I enjoy looking at the person of the day that is being noted as a follower of Jesus.

Today Angela Merici was remembered. She was an orphan at an early age, surely not a easy time in the 1500's nor is it today!!

She lived in Lombardy Italy and spent many years in prayerful simplicity following the way of St Francis as a 3rd order lay member. She has a dream that she should start a community of women. I don't know about you but such a dream must have been something she questioned. I am not sure we pay that  much attention to the fact that God does and can speak to us in our dreams as well in the events of our day.

For years after the dream she spent her time instructing children of her poor neighbors. Women were inspired by her example and asked to follow her.

I myself was inspired by the example of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother who were at the nursing school that I attended. To me they were able to touch the lives of the sick in a way I felt I couldn't as a nurse. I prayed to be able to touch lives as they did and now you know the rest of that story.

Do you believe you are touching the lives of those who watch and see what you do? It may be your friends, your acquaintances or perhaps your children. If you are not sure ask them. What rule of life do you follow?

In reading of Scripture for today Jesus talked about the mustard seed. I believe a dream that unfolded many years later surely is an example of a mustard seed. You may not know now what influence you have to others, but you do have an influence. It is up to you what you want to leave behind as your mustard seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment