Tuesday, January 10, 2012

listening-connecting

Today was one of those joyous days for me as I got to go around the hospital and treatment center and just ask people how they are and how did their holidays go?
I usually find some tidbit that can make something better for someone. 

As usual some had family Christmas issues and are glad it is over. Most had a great time.

 Like me those who stayed home also had a great time. Time to relax. I saw more movies in the week than I have seen in 6 years. A real treat. Who in their right mind pays to see a movie that makes you cry for 2 1/2 hours? Me! If you haven't seen War Horse I highly recommend it as well as The Help.

In our daily experience how often do we find someone who will listen to us? I tried an experiment on this, someone asked me how are you? I said terrible. They replied good and kept walking. I asked myself do I do that as well? Do I really listen when others are sharing or talking to me or am I thinking of what is the next thing I have to do, or want  to say ,or where I am going?

Today we had a breakfast meeting with the Hospital President and the employees who are nominated by patients  a number of times as Living our Promise to keep patients first. When asking each employee why they were remembered and mentioned by the patients they said I listen, I treat them as a individual. It was very touching to hear the stories of how they each do that.

I felt the power of their living the values and prayed for each of them for their giftedness and willingness to share their gifts.

How was your day? Did you listen to anyone? If not there is always tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment