Saturday, January 7, 2012

Is your heritage and spirituality integrated

Today we remember Thea Bowman a Franciscan Sister of Perpetual Adoration from La Crosse Wis community.
 She integrated her Catholic faith with her African American culture and spirituality.

Sr. Thea, an African-American, gave presentations across the country; lively gatherings that combined singing, gospel preaching, prayer and storytelling. Her programs were directed to break down racial and cultural barriers. She encouraged people to communicate with one another so that they could understand other cultures and races.
In 1984, Sr. Thea was diagnosed with breast cancer. She prayed "to live until I die." Her prayer was answered, and Thea continued her gatherings seated in a wheelchair. In 1989, the U.S. bishops invited her to be a key speaker at their conference on Black Catholics. At the end of the meeting, at Thea's invitation, the bishops stood and sang "We Shall Overcome" with gusto.
Thea lived a full life. She fought evil, especially prejudice, suspicion, hatred and things that drive people apart. She fought for God and God's people until her death in 1990.

It caused me to reflect on what is my heritage? My cultural heritage is German. My parents passed on to me the value of hard work. The value of simplicity, love for creation, and trust in God. Throughout the years I have struggled with work-life balance. I respect and enjoy creation and have a deep sense of justice and care for the poor. Some of these values came from my heritage and some from my parents having lived through the depression and WWII.

What is spirituality? It is the inner path of a person which is the essence of who they are, their deepest values and how they live. It is the source of inspiration and orientation to life. It is not ones religion. One's religious orientation helps one live our their spirituality. Our religious tradition assists us in living out our spiritual path.

 My spiritual values are deep sense of trust and love of God, sense of community with all persons, justice and compassion especially toward those in need. For me Jesus is my mentor and friend.

I was born into the Catholic tradition which as a child I accepted. As an adult we need to determine what we really believe which in itself is a spiritual struggle. As a student nurse I saw how the Sisters touched the lives of others more deeply than I felt I could. I prayed to know how I could let others know how much Jesus loved me.

As Paul Harvey would say and "there is more to this story" but not today.

I leave you with two thoughts. What have you integrated into your life from your heritage? What is your spirituality?

Are these integrated in the way others experience you living your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment