Wednesday, September 14, 2011

changing seasons

Today I went to visit my brother Bert. He is 19 1/2 years older than me. He lives in assisted living which is 1hr 45minutes to 2 hours west of where I live.

As I was traveling west, I noticed some of the leaves are beginning to change color and become their beautiful fall colorful self.

I have also noticed my brother has less interest these past several months of going shopping or taking a drive to visit some friends.. He is content to stay in his space read and wind down. He will go out for lunch and then we come home.

I wondered am I also detaching, becoming a more integrated self as I am in my changing seasons.

We are aware of the weather changing and frost/freeze warnings, but  not always aware of our changing seasons in our lives and the gifts they bear, nor are we always aware of the changing seasons in the lives of those we love.

Lately at ministry I hear mothers telling me of their grieving their sons/daughters going off to college for the first time. "He left couple of weeks ago and hasn't called yet"  You are missing them and they are having a whole new adventure.
A time of changing seasons and letting go a detachment from your children from kids to adulthood

Another mom says " My kids are choosing what they want to wear to school and wouldn't be my choice. I guess if they get cold they will put more clothes on" there was a time not so long ago you had to dress them.

I pray we may be more aware of the changing of seasons in our life and the lives of those we love, support them and embrace the detachment that occurs as gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment