Monday, September 12, 2011

NAMEDAY CELEBRATION

Today in the Catholic church liturgy is the feast of the Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
I dont know if you ever wondered why some nuns or order religious you may know, have different names that you might think strange. Like Sister Paul a man's name.
In the past when one became a vowed religious we were given another name as a sign of our detachement and as scripture says "take off the old man and put on the new." This name was also to signify another patron, model someone of the saints special to us.
Since Vatican II which most of you probably never heard of, most religious have a choice of keeping their Baptism name or choosing a new one. If you didnt like the name your parents gave you well here is the chance to legally change it.
Seeing my name Sharee is not a saints name I have chosen my baptism day as my Nameday. The day I became a child of God.
 In the convent we still celbrate our Namedays by recieving cards, greetings and if lucky a special meal.
I think it is a good way to celebrate our names so Happy Nameday to all those called Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment