Friday, February 17, 2012

Daily events

Today's reading Jesus says"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow me."

Sometimes we think of these crosses to be big events such as a serious sickness, job loss, loosing friends. True these are big things.

Most of the crosses are daily events where we can ask ourselves what would Jesus do? Would he stay later at work to help co-worker, did he smile when he didnt feel like it, did he repeat over and over again the things he was trying to teach his followers, did he give food to those in need, visit the sick, free burdens from others?

There are many more examples of how Jesus accepted the cross of the every day instead of going off alone to pray or get a break.

It is the every day crosses that I find the most challenging. It seems the big ones I ask for God's help and God is there, it is the little chances that I sometimes forget to ask for the grace to see them and to be able to respond as Jesus would have me do.

After all what does it profit me to gain and focus totally on myself and in the process risk  loosing the life God has given me?

No comments:

Post a Comment