Thursday, February 16, 2012

Your principles & beliefs would you stand for them

1977 Janani Luwum Anglican primate of Uganda was murdered for his stand against the ruler General Idi Amin. Amin was circulating rumors that the African bishops were plotting violence against him. Janani stood up and said it was not true and asked for proof.

As a result he was arrested. Amin had a pile of weapons produced and said there were from the Archbishop which Janani denied. When faced Janani started to pray which greatly made Amin angry. The next morning it was announced he was killed trying to escape. After weeks they found his body bullet-riddled.
Later it was found out that Amin himself shot him.

Archbisop Janani wrote "Even if I have to die for my convictions, I can never lower the standards God has set me"

In our world we are not faced with dying for our beliefs. The question is what am I willing to stand for?

Am I okay saying I am a Christian, okay not approving of anything that is not what Christ would approve? Am I willing to care for those rejected, reach out to those considered strange or a problem. Would I stop and defend someone if what was going on was wrong or am I not wanting to get involved. I have watched the program "What would you do?" and majority of people do not want to get involved in whatever is going on that is not right or just.

This coming week is the begining of Lent. It may be just the right time for me to consider what are my beliefs and am I willing to stand for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment