Friday, February 10, 2012

Listen speak-Lectio divina

Today Jesus heals the deaf mute. In one of his homilys Pope Bendict says if we listen to the word of God we will most certainly speak.

I ask how do I listen to the word of God? I have found the practice of Lectio divina to be helpful.

Here is how it works.
READ  a section of Scripture, read the text slowly, gently. Listen for a word or phrase that draws you attention. God usually does not reach out and grab us but speaks to us gently
PONDER Take the word or phrase into yourself repeat it slowly let it sink into you. Allow it to invite you into dialogue with God.
PRAY Use the word, images or all that came to you and interact with God as you would with someone who knows and loves you. You do not need to recite or think of some other prayers as someone else did write them.

the Goal is for me to listen, quiet the thoughts and needs of myself and others. Then to pray from whatever comes from that interaction with God.

In the course of my day I always find some chance to share what God has spoken to me this day.

Try it you will like it. Now I warn you it will change how you interact with God, listening is a powerful way to deepen a relationship, if with our friends and special people in our life, why not with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment