Sunday, February 26, 2012

Vision quest

Todays scripture readings relate Jesus going into the Desert for 40 days and 40 nights to fast and pray. It was a time for him to prepare for his mission and ministry.

In preparation for his mission, Jesus follows a mysterious yet compelling calling to radical wilderness solitude. He fasts. He lives in
the wild. He wrestles with spirits. But God is with him.

We today have sometimes lost the idea of going away for a period of time to prepare for our mission and ministry.

Has a mother been able to take some time away to prepare for what it means to raise a child to know and experience  that God loves them as well as their parents. To train the child in the way they are to become.

Does a friend take time away to reflect on what it means to be a friend to another on their pilgrim journey, to be supportive, honest and caring?

I made a 40 day retreat just before I began my current ministry as patient advocate. It was a hard thing for 40 days to reflect, be quiet and listen for God's whispering to me. Hard especially since I was accustom to doing so many things and just Being had become foreign to me. God too was with me in this desert experience and has greatly affected how I can be an advocate for others with a curious mind instead of it shouldnt be mind. 

We all cant make a 40 day retreat but we can spend sometime each day during this lenten time to reflecting on how is God calling me? How then will this become expressed in how I relate to others in my ministry.

The time of lent is traditionally a time of preparation for those who wish to enter into the Faith. It is celebrated at the Resurection of Jesus. 

Hopefully our lent will also be a time of reflection for us on how we live out our faith in our daily lives. Then our Easter will be more than easter eggs, candy and new set of spring clothes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment