Monday, February 20, 2012

Spiritual health check up

In two days we will begin Ash Wednesday. The scripture suggests we focus on almsgiving, prayer and fasting.

The hardest one for me is almsgiving. I do find it easy to give a few dollars to this or that cause but to give of my time that is hard.
Matthew cautions us not to show our giving to others in public but he didn't say do not do good. I am talking about taking a little time in secret to help someone, maybe a co-worker, a patient who needs a visit, a neighbor who could use a little help with something. You have a few days to think about it I am confident you will come up with some action of almsgiving you can do. I am not saying don't give to the food pantry but you and I know that is very simple act for most of us.

Prayer in secret let God know your joys, praise for all the good you see and experience as well as for others in need and your needs. I have decided to do a Bible study on Matthew during lent, always can learn more.

Fasting, I could say I don't have to do that as I am 76 and it doesn't apply to me. I know I can do the fasting of not gossiping, saying something negative about someone or listening to a conversation where someone else is doing these behaviors and I don't do anything. listening without comment is agreement.

All these actions are meant to humble us and let us see the areas where we need God's healing hand. Lent is a time of positive strengthening our spiritual health not giving up things.

So now you know you have tomorrow to decide what you need to ask God to help you with to improve your spiritual health.

No comments:

Post a Comment