Saturday, December 10, 2011

Justice & compassion

The reading for today says: Elijah will indeed come and restore all things: but I tell you Elijah has already come"(Matt 17:11-12)

Today we also remember Thomas Merton the cistersian monk who promoted justice. We see all types of injustice on the TV and in the paper.

As we went out today to buy our Christmas tree and groceries, I encountered the Red Kettle of Salvation Army. Why are there so many homeless in a country that has so much and had fabulous Black Friday.

In the paper today is about another paper plant closing in our area and more unemployed.

Last night at Hospital Christmas lighting,I checked the giving tree in the atrium. It is a tree that has ornaments for those in need and many were taken with gifts placed under the tree by employees for those in need.

At the store today we bought food items to take to Church for Church pantry. The need far exceeds the items donated.

Today, I did feel abit guilty baking peanut butter spritz, then I realized we are doing what we can. What is important is that I do not behave in a way that creates more injustice.

I pray I may have the strength to bring God's justice and compassion where I am called to be present.

No comments:

Post a Comment