Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Traditions--Drinking Love of St John

Did you ever wonder what was the reason for some of the traditions you have experienced in your life time?

In the early years of my formation on this Day we got a glass of wine and all prayed and drank it as the Love of St. John.  I found myself today asking what was that all about. I don't recall anyone explaining it to me.

 A little research lead me to the answer. the story goes as follows:

Today, this third day of Christmas, is the Feast of St. John.
Though he wasn't martyred, it wasn't for his enemies' lack of trying. According to legend, he was served poisoned wine, but survived because he blessed the wine before he put it to his lips; the poison rose from the chalice in the shape of a serpent. In his happy memory, Catholics bring wine to church, which the priest blesses, turning it into a sacramental called the "Love of St. John." Catholics use this sacramental wine for special occasions throughout the year and to give to the sick.

When it is drunk on his Feast Day, we drink it before dinner as a toast to St. John. The Father of the house lifts his glass toward Mother and says, "I drink you the love of St. John." The Mother replies "I thank you for the Love of St. John" and then turns to the oldest child, lifts her glass, and says, "I drink you the love of St. John..." -- and on it goes down the line until each has been toasted.


If you have a big family may be very interesting!!. It reminded me of the Jewish Seder meal I was privileged to be a part of at my friends house. I surely did feel the sugar buzz by the end of that meal.


The wine may be drunk as is, out of the bottle, or may be prepared as in this recipe:
St. John's Love (serves 8)

1 quart red wine
3 whole cloves
1/16 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 two-inch cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar

Pour the wine into a large saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients. Boil for 5 minutes (this pretty much evaporates all of the alcohol). Serve hot, clinking glasses with the toast "Drink the love of St. John!" I suggest doing this in front of a roaring fire!
May you enjoy your new tradition and follow the example of Saint John when he said Loving one another is what the Gospel is all about.
Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment