Saturday, December 17, 2011

What are your connections?

Today the reading talk about the genealogy of Jesus.
In the East Asian there is a belief(legend) that a child is born with an invisible red thread that connects the child's soul to all who have gone before and will come in the future. It is believed every birthday the cord shortens which brings the child closer to those they are to meet.

The reading of today connects Jesus with all those who came before him, the prophets and those who will follow him. For Matthew, this Jesus is the fulfillment of a world God envisioned in the first place, a world with peace and justice. 

Advent theme is alot about peace and justice. We are all connected in some way.

I did spend some time a couple of years ago working on our family genealogy. My brother said why you interested in that. Well I found all sorts of characters which somewhat explains part of how I am. I found a distant cousin who is into healing of the family. It was scary as she is the youngest, has a Masters in Psych and into therapy. Here I thought I was unique!!

I found the orgin of my family name, a group of peasant's who refused to give their animals to an oppressive king so they lived in the Forest with the animals. I knew there must be a justice bent somewhere and people who knew organize to do a protest. I knew there was a reason I felt comfortable working with East Side gang in Milwaukee and the homeless.

Who are you connected to? Who do you believe will benefit from connection with you in the future?

Do you experience any connection to Jesus in the present or maybe in the future? He was for those discounted the children, women, widows and those rejected by the establishment. He was all about peace, justice and reconciliation.

Every day I reflect on how will my day incorporate some of these opportunities for me to choose how to BE. 

Advent helps us on our journey to reflect on these situations and our behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment